Saturday, November 22, 2008

Rain, a short break and the world's biggest quilt - even bigger than the last world's biggest quilt

So much beautiful, soaking rain this week - over 5 inches (125ml)!! And still more to come. Our dams are below 10% capacity for the city so it's making everyone smile.


Today I started quilting the new 'world's biggest quilt'.... it's HUGE.... my quilting table is 14' long and there's only 1' spare at each end while I quilt this one. It's a bit of a challenge too, so here are some progress photos.
You can see the ruffled sashing around every block


I quilted in the ditch with a pretty heart and diamond motif in the centre of each 6" square

The quilt is a simple design but what makes it different is the gathered sashing and extra gathering on the ruffle - VERY tricky!! But by taking it slow and steady, this little tortoise will hopefully win the race by tomorrow afternoon. I'll add some more photos when it's done.
happy quilting
Cheryl xx

2 comments:

vicky gailey said...

I really like the gathered sashing. Is the sashing quilted? If so, how do you quilt it and still let it keep its gathered look?

Anonymous said...

Vicky, I have no return email address for you so I hope you find this message. The gathered sashing is ditch quilted only... that means it retains the snuggly look. The quilt was mostly ditch quilted with a feature scroll custom quilted in each of the squares
Cheryl